Monday, February 6, 2012

Day 1 - (cue letdown music)

So much as I expected, today was a day filled with no running. There was work, a brief sitting down period after work, and then driving. Too much driving.

BUT! As promised, I did do other things today. Two things, in fact. 2 - count them! Ah ah ah!

1. Played the concertina with Dad tonight.

We have a little Irish band that is in its 5th (6th?) incarnation, in which I play the concertina. I also play the spoons, the bones, other random percussion and sing. Oh yeah, I got it like that. (nerd*cough) Anyway, so I've been in need of practice so that I can add more songs to my repertoire. Since I play by ear and not by sight, I just need to sit down with my dad and hammer out a few thousand wrong notes until the right ones find their way to my fingertips.

Didn't do too bad, either. I've got the beginnings of almost 3 new songs underway that, with a bit more practice, I'll have on the brain enough to work on perfecting. Yay for practice!

Life - |

2. Played improv with The Blacklist (you can visit us here - and please do!: http://www.facebook.com/#!/blacklistcomedy).

I love these guys! They are the most fun, laid back, incredibly talented fellas I've had the pleasure to play with. We, The Blacklist, are a group of improv artists who - in case you didn't know - get up on stage in front of an audience and play improvisational games based off of cues and suggestions from the crowd. Amazingly fun.

So we had practice tonight, which I always enjoy. But I found out that apparently I really suck at guessing games. At least sometimes. Like tonight.

Usually I'm a pretty good guesser. It doesn't hurt that the guys are pretty rockin' mimes, either. But tonight it was like my brain took a sick day to play hookey. I wasn't getting the big picture, I was guessing too quickly, and my mime & gibberish responses back to my team were lackluster and sickly. I felt so out of touch that I almost gave up. I was a bit disappointed with my weaksauce guessing, but the guys were nice about it. We all have our moments, after all. Can't let that get me down though. I love it too much and really, when it comes down to it, I'm not all that bad. (Ouch! Man that cramps, patting myself on the back like that.) At least now I know one for sure area that I need to hone.

Life - |

Okay, people, it's getting late. Time to cut the crap and do a tally:

Marathon training - zip
All-important Life - ||

Hey, I warned you this could happen. jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
(and apparently, so can all of those j's & f's. especially when you fall asleep at the keyboard with a heavy homerow pointer finger)

TTFN friends

~f.g.r.

No comments:

Post a Comment